Friday, March 2, 2007

Another fun exercise

Something that might interest some of you...a few years ago (spring 2005, I believe), MK, Andrew, and myself made an assignment that was kind of fun and prompted some introspection. Picking some of my favorite things made me think about it again. We decided to come up with a soundtrack of sorts - a list of 14 songs that would be played in the movie of our lives for the time frame we set. We decided on the time from the end of college to that spring and selected music accordingly. I thought it might be something that you all might enjoy - and maybe somebody would want to share their soundtrack with the rest of us. What parts of your life would you highlight? Gloss over? Dwell on?

Give it a go if you feel so inclined. It can be kind of therapeutic.

2 comments:

Mike said...

So it's 10:45 on Saturday night. The wife has gone to bed after soundly defeating me in a game of scrabble. I'm sitting in the semi-dark, drinking a labatte blue light, and trying to come up with a soundtrack for my post college life (the soundtrack for the college years was conveniently supplied on the wife and I's wedding CD). This is why I like blogs - not only are they brilliant time sucks, they can connect us with our friends (or at least people who we find interesting, in cyberspace) even though we're miles apart. And when you're anchored by a kid - like I am - this can be really nice. So I'll be mulling this one over, Colleen, and hopefully will have a list soon.
But I insist - you brought it up, and apparently have done this before...what does your list look like? And Andrew? And MK?

Colleen said...

I can speak for myself and let them do what they will. Mind you, this was done a few years back at the end of a breakup that was a long time in the making and a move to a big city. Seems like a world ago.

Waiting for My Ruca - Sublime
Aimum - Bela Fleck
Falling - Ben Kweller
Close to Me - The Cure
Lost in the Rain - Fighting Gravity
Are You Strong Enough - Sheryl Crow
The District Sleeps Alone Tonight - Postal Service
Out the Window - Violent Femmes
Open Road Song - Eve 6
You Will Always be the Same - Ryan Adams
Stand - REM
The Wind - Cat Stevens
This Year's Love - David Gray
Lullabye - Ben Fold's 5

Please think about posting. I would be really interested to see what you all would come up with...heck, even if you can only think of a few standout songs that would fit, share them!